I’ve come to the point where I have nothing else to do with my time, but sit here and work on long-standing projects. So with that time, I have done a little bit of tweaking on the-spot.net. I’ve fixed a couple things on the MySpot page, for one…
– It no longer redirects you to the forum index if there are no new posts since you last visit…instead it lets you stay on the MySpot page, so you can go about you business checking the other features of the site.
– At the top of the window, where it says “the-spot.net :: MySpot” it now says “MySpot (35)” or some other number in parenthesis to denote how many new topics have been posted to since you last checked the MySpot page. I tried to incorporate it into the header, but it did not work because I was not willing to have every page load run a search for new posts. That feature will come later with some ajax that I am going to integrate into the site…so that it loads stuff in the background, not affecting your ability to load the page.
– I put the Jumpbox (which you can select your forum, and click go, from a drop down menu) and put it inside the New Posts table, to consolidate that part of the site. It didn’t deserve its own box.
– I fixed the mini-calendar on the MySpot page to show the correct date, once the time reaches past 6pm. It was running the regular GMT – 0 intead of the GMT-6 like we’re in, for the most part. I haven’t figured out how to fix the big calendar though…still looking into that.
Also, a couple days ago, I made some other changes…
– I brought back the Photobook stream at the bottom of the MySpot page. I’m debating whether or not to just go with the flickr setup or run both, or just do the Photobook. flickr is easier to use, but Photobook is ours.
– I moved the tsn Network table to the other side, in preparation for the return of the User Pic on the MySpot page on the left column.
– I’m also looking into a personalized page for people to use…where they would see their private messages, draft-posts, watched topics, their online buddies, new posts, photostream, and other things.
the future plans are all contingent on what I can think of and figure out the code for. These improvements that have already happened were simply because I’ve either already had the code, and just plugged it in, or I had a burst of thought and figured out the cause of the problem so I could fix it.
Sorry I don’t update this thing much…there hasn’t been a whole lot of stuff going on behind the scenes of tsn – I’ve been looking into other services and websites and technologies for the past 7 months.